Maggie said 'Did you see the sky?' - acrylic - sold

Posted by Picasa
This picture came out of an amazing sequence of wild weather where every day was an adventure.
The symbols in the picture became clear to me only after painting a number of other canvases. The sky shows the wild uncontrolled glory of God. The sky was painted in a way where I had little control over how the paint would finally settle. It became more & more obvious to me that the symbols of the two cedar trees were pictures of the Holy Spirit ... I suppose like 'flames of fire'. In the background, as in many of my English paintings(!) are the shape of the Malvern Hills. As I have said before, this was the closest I could easily get to Wales on the bus/train from Birmingham ... and a bumpy, proper landscape. The rest of the canvas is filled with images and colours of 'plenty', 'abundance', and follow on from a painting called 'The Valleys stand so thick with corn'. Again I became aware of images that began to mean for me 'abundance' ... sheep, bursting fat cabbages, fields, poppies and rows of crops, often with lavender.

Comments